Sanford Township was organized on July 24, 1882 by petition and named in honor of Henry F. Sanford, the first settler in the township. Early settlers were Henry F. Sanford, Ole Fletcher, John Olson, Jens Peterson Lee, Chris Mobraaten, Ole Syverson, Knud O Laastuen, C.S. Dahl, Ollof Otteson, Gunder Hanson, and Henry Gunderson.
C = Cemeteries. Some cemeteries were established next to a church; some were several miles apart from each other. They are noted by early names.
S = School, noted by District Number.
Cemetery – Bethlehem
Cemetery – Ness Lutheran
Cemetery – St. Loretto Catholic
Cemetery – Union
School District # 38
School District # 5
School District # 22
School District # 48
School District # 57
School District # 60
Below are articles and photos of early settlers as submitted by family members. To see them, click on the name.