The schoolhouse situated on the west side of the Museum was Pleasant View School, District #7, located in Section 8 of Pelican Lake Township. Informally, it was also called the Elberling School as many Elberling children attended this school.
The building was probably built around 1900 and used until consolidated into the Ashby school district about 1945. It was moved to the Museum site in 1971.
Grant County’s first school, District #1, was built in Elk Lake Township in 1872. The last rural school to close was District #20, Roseville Township, which consolidated into the Hoffman school district in 1955.
Photos by Patty Benson